Tenzing Norgay, the Sherpa man who made history when he reached the summit of Mount Everest with Sir Edmund Hillary, is the focus of an informative article. Class members read about Norgay's perspective on the way up the mountain, the events that immediately followed the climb, and other details from his autobiography Tiger of the Snows: The Autobiography of Tenzing of Everest.
- Pair the article with a class reading of Tenzing Norgay's book, or when discussing the geography surrounding Mount Everest
- Have class members write a short journal entry from the point of view of a mountain climber
- Requires access to the Internet to see the entire article
- Does not include comprehension questions; consider adding a few to check for understanding
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- A thoughtful portrayal of an important figure in mountain climbing
- Provides links to additional materials and references