This Touching Spirit Bear: Directed Thinking Activity activity & project also includes:
Can you guess what is going to happen in a story just by looking at the cover? Readers engage in a directed-reading activity in which they preview the text from Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen, read to find an answer, and re-read for evidence. The fifth activity in a series of five contains directions to complete the directed thinking activity and models the process for the class.
- Use the directed thinking activity with multiple texts such as newspaper articles, short stories, and poetry
- Activity lends itself to close reading; apply the same strategy to poetry to boost comprehension
- Make sure that all students have access to copies of Touching Spirit Bear
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Directions are easy to understand
- Excerpts from the novel are properly cited