The symbolic nature of mathematics is perplexing to some scholars. Help them out using a video lesson that offers explanations and examples of how to read a mathematical sentence. By translating expressions and equations into words, learners develop a stronger understanding of the symbols and operations they use.
- Use the video for instruction on a day that requires a substitute
- Create a word wall of common words used to translate expressions into words
- Expects previous experience with algebraic expressions
- Includes a variety of examples using all operations
- Uses words and visuals to explain the process