This What a Waste of Food! unit also includes:
Follow the life of an apple from harvest to the consumer. A three-part lesson describes the different steps to get an apple from the farmer to your kitchen and the approximate waste that happens at each step. They discuss the process and then model the waste by assuming the roles of the apples in a skit.
- Have pupils research waste percentages of other perishable goods
- Call local grocery stores to ask how they handle waste of their perishables
- Allow time to collect and prepare materials
- Includes a link to purchase necessary materials
- Adaptable to different grade levels