Why do our bodies become addicted to some substances? Young psychologists explore the mechanisms of addiction through a video from the American Chemical Society's Reactions series. Content includes the cycle of addiction, changes that take place in the brain and body, and resources for recovery.
- Use the video to highlight brain anatomy or biochemical processes in the body
- Plan a discussion about addiction and addictive substances for after the video to check the class' understanding
- Make sure pupils understand the concept of chemical receptors before viewing the resource
- The narrator points out other addictive behaviors aside from drugs and alcohol, such as overeating; this gives learners a clearer picture of addiction
- Animated brain anatomy helps viewers understand the structures and functions of the brain involved in addiction