This Writing Emotion Journals lesson plan also includes:
Learners of all ages—including adults—could use a little help recognizing and regulating their emotions. Over the course of a few days, class members journal their emotional reactions to various events and note whether they recognize any patterns in their responses.
- Connect the project between language arts and health or a teen issues class
- Pair with a novel that addresses emotional regulation or characters struggling with emotions
- Designed for high school, but adaptable to middle or even elementary levels
- Incorporates aspects of Cognitive Behavior Therapy; instructor should have some prior knowledge of or experience with CBT
- Provides links to necessary worksheets and additional materials
- Encourages learners to use positive self-talk to themselves and empathy with others