This Your Digital Footprint: Data and Energy Use video also includes:
Understanding energy usage requires knowing more than how much energy it takes to charge your cell phone. Scholars learn each text sent uses energy as does each video, game, and phone call. They observe the larger grid of data transfers and consider the networks required to support these common uses.
- Graph the number of Internet-connected devices each person uses
- Consider if technology is increasing the number of devices needed or decreasing it
- Relies on prior knowledge of electric grids and data storage
- 10th lesson in a 13-part series on Exploring Energy
- Connects to the teen world of data usage
- Works well in traditional or flipped classes