There are a number of social, emotional, and physiological reasons why teenagers start smoking, and why they continue smoking into adulthood. Help class members understand why smoking begins in youth—and how to protect themselves from it—with an infographic about the availability of flavored tobacco products, the connection between teen depression and tobacco use, and the influence of socioeconomic status on one's likelihood to begin smoking.
- Have small groups write a short skit about feeling the pressure to smoke or use other tobacco products
- Create an interdisciplinary project between health, social studies, and teen issues
- Print a copy of the resource to display in the school nurse's office or counselor's room
- Data stops at 2015; have class members conduct research to find more updated information
- Includes a thorough list of statistics and facts that are immediately relevant to teenagers' lives
- Easy to interpret an understand at any reading level